Thursday, April 12, 2012

The "Melodic Metal" Post

"I like everything except Country and Rap...oh, and that crazy metal stuff".

We all know someone that says stuff like this. I used to say the same thing myself. I didn't like country, and I especially didn't like metal, but that was before I heard one of the most amazing songs ever. A song I will never forget.


I had never heard of In Flames, but by that point in my life I was already accustomed to hard rock music and enjoyed it. I still didn't like metal music though, until I heard this song.

This song snuck up on me, and when I say that I mean that it didn't sound like what I imagine a heavy metal song to sound like. The introduction to the song is over a full minute of gentle acoustic guitar and light, but rhythmic drums. It sounded very nice, and is a great warmup to the hard driving guitar of the rest of the song.

You know that growling gutteral "singing" that is a staple of heavy metal music? These guys do that too, but there is a key difference that kept me from skipping the song like I normally do, and eventually made In Flames one of my most often listened to bands. This, and on every song on the album, the lead singer's voice is considerably lower than the rest of the song. You hear more of the amazing guitar than the voice. The music is the main course.

-Himmler

If you liked this song then you may also like:


(This one has piano!)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment