Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The "International Hip-Hop" Post

When the golden age of hip hop ended in the early 90s and became over run with gangsters, guns, and sex, the earlier styles of rap continued over seas. There are artists around the world creating amazing hip-hop music, keeping the earlier traditions of creativity, lyrical agility, and good backing music.

One of these artists is Keny Arkana, a rap artist of Argentinian heritage. born in Marseilles, France, she is one of the most popular rappers in France at this time. The focus of her songs are poverty, corrupt government, and protests.


In the middle of a popular Pakour video I found, my ears were assaulted by a high pitched, almost prepubescent voice, rapping with violent, acidic delivery. It sounded like each word in the song was threatening to punch me in the face if I didn't listen to it.

Back then I couldn't tell if the artist was a girl or a guy (lol), but the song was impressive, and even though I couldn't understand what she was saying, I was floored. After much searching and translating, I found the song featured in the video, and I was so impressed with her other songs that I bought one of her albums on Amazon.





You don't have to speak English to rap.

-Himmler

No comments:

Post a Comment